   Re: [xml-dev] Is Web 2.0 the new XML?

Alan,

At 8/12/2005 05:11 PM, Alan Gutierrez wrote:
>     Probably already in place:
>
>     Why not accept submissions of tests from XQuery users? Set up a
>     WWW interface that accepts submissions and can actually execute
>     them. Discuss the results on a news group.

Actually, the specific mechanisms that you suggest are not in place, but
they have been suggested by some participants in the process.  As the
announcement said, we definitely would like for the general XQuery public,
whether implementors or users, to contribute tests.  I'll ensure that the
chair of the Task Force gets this suggestion.

If I had to guess, I'd say that having a WWW interface to accept
submissions is likely to be within the realm of possibility, given the
resources available to implement something like that.  Using that interface
(or another WWW interface) to execute them isn't a meaningful concept,
because the Query WG doesn't provide an implementation---implementors of
XQuery implementations have to build the test harness, etc. to run the
tests.  (Well, an interested user could do the same, but it would almost
always have to be build for a specific XQuery implementation.)

Discussion of the results in a newsgroup or an RSS feed or anything else
public is likely to be problematic, too, as some implementors do not wish
their results to be made public if attributed to their implementation
(e.g., if they're still early in the Alpha cycle and don't wish to be
labelled "bad" before they even think they're done).  Of course,
unattributed test results could be publicly discussed.

But it's very unlikely that the Testing Task Force, or the Query WG, could
accept major responsibility for driving the discussion because it clearly
doesn't scale to thousands of tests by several implementations, an unknown
number of whose results may be controversial.  I'd say that the users
and/or implementors would have to be responsible for initiating discussion
of results that they don't understand or with which they disagree.  One
possibility for the venue of those discussions is the public Bugzilla site
that will be (has been?) put in place for reporting of bugs in the test suite.

>     The results of user discussions could produce tests.

Indeed, but (again) the Task Force and WG participants can't reasonably do
(all of) this, because it simply doesn't scale.  But the greater community
would be welcome --- nay, encouraged --- to produce new tests as a result
of such discussions.

Hope this helps,
    Jim

>--
>Alan Gutierrez - alan@engrm.com
>     - http://engrm.com/blogometer/index.html
>     - http://engrm.com/blogometer/rss.2.0.xml

Jim Melton --- Editor of ISO/IEC 9075-* (SQL)     Phone: +1.801.942.0144
   Co-Chair, W3C XML Query WG; F&O (etc.) editor    Fax : +1.801.942.3345
Oracle Corporation        Oracle Email: jim dot melton at oracle dot com
1930 Viscounti Drive      Standards email: jim dot melton at acm dot org
Sandy, UT 84093-1063 USA          Personal email: jim at melton dot name
=  Facts are facts.   But any opinions expressed are the opinions      =
=  only of myself and may or may not reflect the opinions of anybody   =
=  else with whom I may or may not have discussed the issues at hand.  =