   WORD TO XML/SGML

  • To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: WORD TO XML/SGML
  • From: "Davis, Joe" <jdavis@anteon.com>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 12:54:30 -0400

Good morning.

I’ve been nominated to take some legacy technical manuals written in Word and Word Perfect and convert them into an SGML/XML format.  The manuals are a combination of text, table, and graphics.   The required DTDs, etc. should be supplied to us.  We’ve played with Word which will convert to HTML, such as it is.  The minor research that I’ve done does not explain how to convert a manual over.

Without knowing what I’m doing, it appears as if each heading, paragraph, table/cell/row, graphic, and foldouts will need to be given individual tags.

Where is a good source for information on conversion?

Is there a program that will make my life easier (is there really an easy button?)

Any help will be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Joe