   Re: [xml-dev] WORD TO XML/SGML

Joe,

I've been developing tools and techniques to do this type of conversion for the last couple of years [*].  The latest manifestation of this work is in the DocBook XSL stylesheet repository (http://docbook.sf.net/) - a system for "roundtripping" DocBook via Word.  That is, there are XSL stylesheets for converting WordML (Office 2003's XML format) into DocBook, and stylesheets for the reverse.  One half of that is what you're looking for.  See also http://www.ausweb.scu.edu.au/aw04/papers/refereed/ball and http://ausweb.scu.edu.au/aw05/papers/edited/ball/poster.html

The techniques used are not specific to WordML, nor are they specific to DocBook.  I have developed stylesheets for my clients that target XML schemas/DTDs other than DocBook.

There's no single button, but it is achievable.  A big constraint is that your Word documents must be marked-up using styles, or at least "regular" or consistent in some sense.

Contact me if you'd like further information.

[*] Word->XML converters have been around for even longer, but the introduction of Word 2003 has made the process much more robust - not actually much easier, but more reliable.  There are some commercial products around that may help - DocSoft is one example, there are others.

Cheers,
Steve Ball

---

Steve Ball            |   XSLT Standard Library   | Training & Seminars

Explain         |     Web Tcl Complete      |   XML XSL Schemas

http://www.explain.com.au/ |      TclXML TclDOM        | Tcl, Web Development

Ph. +61 2 6242 4099   |   Mobile (0413) 594 462   | Fax +61 2 6242 4099