   Re: [xml-dev] WORD TO XML/SGML

Joe:

There are several ways you can approach this project but none of them
are going to be painless.  The problem with Word is that everytime a
user clicks in a Word file something is put into the file.  Content
tagging Word file is tricky.  Fortunately, you are probably using
one of the CALS DTDs which you can get by without doing a lot
of content tagging.

You will want to convert the Word file to an XML file then develop
an XSLT to do the conversion to the final DTD.  You could also
use Omnimark if you access to it but XSLT developers are easier to
find.

In order to convert the Word file to XML you have several options:

1.  Use Word 2003 Professional and save the file as WordML.  WordML
    is a bit of a learning curve and is not user friendly.
2.  Use OpenOffice to convert the file to WordML or DocBook.  The
    version of OpenOffice that I use had some problems with tables
    but otherwise did a reasonable job.
3.  Buy InfinityLoop (I think it is under $100 but don't quote me
    on that).  InfinityLoop does a really nice job of converting
    Word files.  It also has a batch option.

Once you have the file in an XML format you can expect to get 75-85%
reliance on conversion using either XSLT or Omnimark (depending on
the quality of the script, of course).  Make sure to average in time
for cleanup and QA.

Hope this helps.

Betty

--
Betty Harvey                         | Phone: 410-787-9200 FAX: 9830