   Re: [xml-dev] Can we treat XML elements and attributes as sets

  • To: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Can we treat XML elements and attributes as sets
  • From: Anne Thomas Manes <atmanes@gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 18:14:00 -0400
  • Cc: Mukul Gandhi <mukul_gandhi@yahoo.com>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org

I don't think it's appropriate to consider an element with an
unqualified name as being in a namespace with no name. As Elliotte
said at one point in this thread:

> Elements with the same name but different URIs are different kinds of elements.
> Elements with the same name and the same URI are the same kind of element.

If you go with the reasoning that elements with no namespace are
elements in the namespace with no name, then the following two
elements would be the same kind of element, when obviously they are
not:

<a>pi</a>

<a>
  <b>3.14156</b>