   Re: [xml-dev] [ANN] Candle 0.8 - a new scripting language for XML

Candle is different from XML in syntax in many ways, but all with
rationale behind them, we don't want to re-invent just to be different.
This page explains some of them: http://www.vibrasoft.net/doc/page1032.htm

However, the syntax difference is only on the surface. The data model of
Candle is more inline with that of XML. Candle shall provide full
compatible support of XML in its first format release.

An analogy with the .Net Common Language Runtime may help understand the
philosophy behind the invention of Candle.
.Net CLR supports several languages on top of it, VB.Net, C#,
JavaScript, J#, etc. The languages vary largely in the syntax, but share
the same underlying abstract data structure.
The Candle Runtime Environment works in the similar way. It is the
underlying unified data model that allows CRE to support XSLT, XQuery
and Candle script. And tools may be provided later to convert or
translate between these languages.

So in certain environment, where strict W3C conformance is required, you
can still write XSLT or XQuery and run them on CRE the same way as they
should be. But some developers can choose to use a 'cleaner' or more
'pure-XML-in-essence' language for their own productivity and
convenience, when the production environment does not dictate strict W3C
conformance,

One of the purpose of announcing Candle here is to invite the xmldev
community to comment on the 'deviations'. Do they make Candle a better
language, or not? So that we may rectify some of them before the formal
release. Candle is a newly invented language, so it does not have many
legacy issues of XML. Just ask yourself with one question - "if you are
asked to design XML today instead of 8 years ago, what would you like to
have in it, and what would you not like to have?" During the design
process of Candle, we've constantly asked ourselves this question. So
whatever we did not do right with XML, we may retify it in Candle.

And may be some of our discussions and experiment with Candle may help
feedback to XML and W3C, and may event shape the next version of XML,
XSLT and XQuery.

Henry