   Re: [xml-dev] XML-with-datatypes (was....)

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005, Peter Hunsberger wrote:

> | Back in the days when I had time to hang out on the xslt list I found
> | myself giving a use case where strong typing would help us.  Now-a-days,
> | I've worked around it so much I no longer want it.  Essentially, we can
> | annotate a node from the back end with a type attribute and be done with
> | it once and for all; pretty much everything we ever needed to do with
> | types is now possible.
>
> [1]: http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200306/msg00317.html

Len, Elliotte, Peter,

Thanks for the discussion and pointing out the weak points.  I think I got
convinced that if one wants to experiment with adding datatypes to XML by
creating a generally-useful XML parser with datatypes support, a
backward-compatible (w.r.t XML 1.x with Namespaces) spec for datatype
identification in XML instances can be written without involving W3C
(e.g., to designate an attribute prefix like xmldt for this purpose).

(Corollary: Vibrasoft/Candle could do this without angrying [xml-dev]
gatekeepers that much!)

Vladimir