   Re: [xml-dev] DTDs still widely used ? was RE: Namespaces A Mess?

Hi,

I don't post often, but could not resist.

I have developed an interest in RELAX NG, and it has quickly become my
favourite schema language, because I like the compact syntax and the
expressive power.

I am currently working on a schema for technical documents and articles,
where I use the compact RELAX NG syntax for writing the source
documents. I then use Trang to convert to the RELAX NG XML syntax, DTD,
and XSD. I also use mkrls to convert the DTD I get from Trang to an
XMetaL rules file. All the conversions are controlled by a very simple
Ruby script.

This system allows me to write schemas using a decent syntax, use the
schema, after conversion to a DTD, in a good editor, and maintain
compatibility with all three schema formats. Of course, as long as I am
gunning for compatibility, the format I am designing is also subject to
the limitations of all the formats...

AFAIK, I would ditch DTDs for RELAX NG if the tool support was good
enough, and widespread enough. XSD will never become a favourite, it's
much to clunky. DTDs are still a necessity when working with document
oriented XML, whether I like it or not.

/Henrik Mårtensson