   Re: [xml-dev] Automated schema migration

Dear Renaud,

If I understood your question well the possible answer could be the
following:

Assume that you created the schema for old documents and the schema for new
documents, you can map the elements of the old schema to the elements of
the new schema.  When the schemas mapped, all the instance documents which
have been derived from the old schema can be transferred into the form of
the new schema and you do not need to develop any specific transformation
for your instance documents.

There are a number of the mapping tools around. One of them is Altova
MapForce.

Cheers,

Nada Reinprecht
03 96488748

             "Renaud Waldura"
             <renaud+xml@waldu
             ra.com>                                                    To
                                       <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
             10/11/2005 06:44                                           cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       [xml-dev] Automated schema
                                       migration

Dear XML Developers:

My organization maintains a large set of documents in XML format. This set
has been developed over the course of almost 6 years without a schema, and
therefore each group of documents differs slightly from the next, as needs
changed and the organization evolved.

I'm evangelizing the benefits of putting in place schemas to standardize
our
markup. But today I'm given the chance to actually prove such benefits, as
we need to migrate an older set of documents to a newer schema. We don't
actually have any schemas yet, but that's something I could work on.

My question is: assuming I've created a schema for my old set of documents,

if I were to create a transformation T1 that, given the old schema,
generates the new schema, could I machine-generate from that transformation

T1 another transformation T2 that could be applied to the documents
themselves?

Instead of writing directly a document -> document migration
transformation,
is it possible to derive such a transformation from the related schema ->
schema transformation? If so, how? Are there any tools for this?

Thank you for your tips!

--Renaud