   RE: What Does Web 2.0 Mean Redux (WAS RE: [xml-dev] XTECH 2006 Call for

From: Andrzej Taramina [mailto:andrzej@chaeron.com]

>One of my favourite quotes is that from a Stella (the beer) poster which
states:
>"I would rather die of thirst than to drink from the cup of mediocrity".
>Unfortunately, that attitude doesn't seem to be the common one, so we're
probably doomed
>to a certain level of mediocrity in all human endeavours.

Of course.  We should simply be aware of the hyperbole and not bet more
than a draft on it until we are happy with the blend.  I blogged what
my opinions on the document formats discussion produced.  It was a civil,
thoughtful intense discussion among peers.  No big revelations, but no
big problems other than an unbalanced market in need of correction and
by degrees, getting it.  Patience while the wheel grinds but keep turning
the handle.

>I would propose that the term "Web 2.0", as a label, is mediocre in and of
itself. ;-)

Yeah... it gets investors excited, people FUD the products of their
competitors, the
software gets downloaded, the complaints and the huzzahs are heard, and we
all go
home to drink something, eat something, and chat with the dormouse.  People
who read
stuff like Graham writes or me or you or the rest of us here should remember
the
software/web business is all about itself, not democracy, freedom, the
chat-ups
or the put-downs.  It's a business that is more than a little self-absorbed.

One of the really good quotes I heard at XML 2005 was, "These guys are my
friends.
They were my friends before Microsoft and Google, and they'll be my friends
after
Microsoft and Google."

That's a good attitude.

len