   Xml file sizes

  • To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: Xml file sizes
  • From: "Byarlay, Wayne A." <wab@purdue.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 14:31:13 -0500

Hello all.

Well, an xml file has finally shown up on my doorstep. Before last week, I only had a vague idea of what XML was; now I've come to understand that it's a method for basically storing data. However, something is bothering me. So, let me play devil's advocate here.

If XML uses tags such as <blablabla>This is my data</blablabla>, is that not a lot of extra bytes to simply declare the end of a field?

And to take it a step further: if I have several records, but the fields are always sequential, such as:
<my record>
    <field1>Bubba Smith</field1>
    <field2>123 Elm Street</field2>
</my record>
<my 2nd record>
    <field1>Sally Ryder</field1>
    <field2>123 Elm Street</field2>
</my 2nd record>

...Wow, to me, that just seems like many redundant bits of data. So, how is XML better than, say, a file where the field headers (and footers) are smaller?

Sorry if this message is a waste of your time, but I am really questioning the practicality of XML. maybe certain platforms or languages process it faster?

wab.