   Re: [xml-dev] Minimal XML Specification

Hi Rick,

Le lundi 06 février 2006 à 11:56 +1100, Rick Jelliffe a écrit :
> Eric van der Vlist wrote
>
> >Minimal XML, Common XML, SML and friends are pretty much dead in their
> >initial forms but they are still strongly alive in the desperate
> >attempts of some of us to keep XML simple!
> >

> The irony is that these efforts, coming at the time when XML Schemas was
> being developed and diverting people's efforts into futile armchair
> games, postively contributed to the greatest increase in complication in
> XML in its history.

I am not at all convinced that more feedback would have brought a
simpler W3C XML Schema recommendation.

There has been a lot of valuable feedback from people such as James
Clark, Murata Makoto, Simon St.Laurent, ... that has been discarded by
the W3C XML Schema Working Group and nothing proves that this wouldn't
have been the case if people "diverted" to work on minimal XML had
provided more W3C XML Schema feedback instead.

Speaking for myself, back in early 2000 I was still a markup newbie and
these discussions have been essential for me to understand what markup
is really about. And I would dare to say that I think I wasn't the only
one in that case and that these discussions have been important for the
learning curve of the XML community.

Speaking for myself again, the feedback I have submitted to the WXS
group have always been very politely discarded, I am not convinced that
I would have made a better use of my time by doing more contributions!

> Lik e standing around the gibbon cage saying "oh
> that monkey would be simpler with only three arms" when King Kong is on
> his way!

The metaphor is misused IMO: XML in general (and WXS in particular) was
becoming a monkey with three arms and some people were trying to avoid
it!

Eric
--
GPG-PGP: 2A528005
Don't you think all these XML schema languages should work together?

Ceci est une partie de message=?ISO-8859-1?Q?num=E9riquement?= =?ISO-8859-1?Q?_sign=E9e?=