   RE: Re: [xml-dev] The Rule of Least Power - does it miss the point?

Actually, in one context what I said was precise
(except the bit about vanaras.  That's cultural
indirection).

The Rule of Least Power is defended by the context
being the web, the whole web, and nothing but the web.

It isn't mysterious.  It is simply a weak rule
somewhat as if one tried to apply the rules for
building roads to building printed circuits.  They
are generally lines, generally go places, and things
generally travel on them, but that is about as much
as you get from the abstraction.  Note that the TAG
didn't say to apply it that deeply, thus the requests
from a lot of people to get some kind of bounding
or contexts of application once it quit being a
principle and became a rule.  Those get pushed out
into the WebAsAmplifier and when unfiltered, bad
assumptions are made, marketing gets involved,
cathedrals are built and at the end of it, it's
just Scientology.  Send me $$$.

The bits from cybernetics are actually very
useful to know if you have to do business systems
work doing data mining, warehousing, etc.  A first
order system is objective.  Road and circuits.
A second order system is subjective
(observer selects what to watch and
the measures to use so self-limits the understanding:
that is the mote in the eye of science).  If all
I am measuring is lineness, placeness, thingness
and travelness, I might conclude that I can build
printed circuits with asphalt or that roads would
last longer if paved with gold.

As to the poetry, sorry about that.  Yesterday I
found out students from the department where I was
trained in theatre were burning down churches
last month.  I'm wondering if it was the training
or the time because I'd be more inclined to burn
down the school. :-)

len

From: Benjamin Franz [mailto:snowhare@nihongo.org]

Len tends to the poetic. Sometimes at the cost of comprehension by his readers.

I think he is saying that real world data is fuzzy in meaning, but that in
taking actions (such as executing a program) based on it we objectify it
with specific meaning and interpretation.

He is also saying that a good deal of things treated as objective fact by
people are actually majority subjective opinion and implying that business
meetings are painful examples of this.