   Re: [xml-dev] Namespaces, Xml Schema Whitespace normalization,

David Carlisle wrote:

>So the choice is; do you make the end user (if it's end users creating
>the xml files) do the %20 escaping, or do you let the end user use a
>space and specify that somewhere along the chain between the xml file
>and the URL resolution the space gets encoded. Just simply avoiding
>them isn't really an option.

Of course it is an option. For example, people who use UNIX shells
manage to live
without spaces in file names perfectly well.  It is prudent not becuase
everyone will do it,
but because cautious people will. It is prudent not to use a rare
encoding too.

As a side issue, I don't think "but people will always cross the road
without looking: it is not an option" is no answer to a statement like
"it is prudent for people to look before walking across the road."

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe