   Re: [xml-dev] Java NVDL implementation

> Fine, but then I don't think NVDL is the tool they need ... NVDL will
> validate the use of namespaces *in the context* of the document
> without disturbing that context and making the entire document
> available for processing as a whole.

I think that I think of extra namespaces extending a canonical format
in this context, and as such I want to have the canonical format
seperated and purified from its extensions when sent to an
application, or maybe I'm having something of a problem seperating
what I want from what other people tell me they want (here I am
thinking especially in the context of UBL)
> Remember that XSLT acts on XPath addresses without validation ... so
> if a stylesheet knows that a document is valid, it can skip its own
> validation and just act on the information items ... and if a
> document is not considered valid structurally before being sent to
> XSLT then there is no assurance the XSLT will work properly.

I think there is just as little chance of the xslt working properly in
this scenario as in mine.

I'm envisioning a situation where:

1. I write an xslt for documents in namespace x.
2. someone wants to extend documents in namespace x with namespace y.
3. They write an NVDL to validate these two namespaces.

Thus the document then still get passed to my xslt, or should the xslt
be updated? I think it should probably be updated because now the
structure that is coming is no longer that which was originally
expected. Hopefully of course I have structured my xslt well, in a non
dependent template manner so that the two namespaces are effectually
seperated, but that cannot be certain. Another thing that cannot be
certain is what I have done with text nodes, I tend to use the default
handlin
g for text nodes, if namespace y has text nodes suddenly what is
coming out on the other end might not be as good as it was before.

I think this way is to interconnected and harder to maintain than the following

1. I write an xslt for documents in namespace x
2. someone wants to extend documents in namespace x with namespace y
3. they write an nvdl to validate these two namespaces
4. NVDL valid stream for Namespace x will be passed to my xslt
5. someone writes perl script for namespace y to save NVDL valid
stream to filesystem.

or other similar scenarios which returning the streams would allow for.

Cheers,
Bryan Rasmussen