   Re: [xml-dev] Xml internationalization design

On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 11:31:27AM +0100, tom tom wrote:
[...]
> The latter will lead to much less verbose XML but the titles tags aren't
> wrapped up in a single extensible parent. I would be very grateful if
> someone could point me to somewhere which advises on best practice here.

It depends... :-)
Your approach is a good one in either case.  Reasons for a wrapper
might include
(1) if you need to select or manipulate all the titles as a group
(2) if you have multiple sets of titles that must be distinguished
(3) if you need to know when all the titles have finished, e.g for
    formatting purposes (this is very close to (1) in practice)
(4) if it is closer to the way you think about the information
(5) if it helps you write generic software to process the data.

Consider an author element, where the order of first/last name might
be different in Japan, or where the author might be spelt differently,
    <author lang="en">St. Paul</author>
    <author lang="it">S Paulo</author>
or whatever.  But you might have a document with two adjacent
author elements, and in that case you'll certainly need a wrapper
of some kind -- same with two adjacent paragraph elements.

Liam

http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/