   Re: [xml-dev] Theoretical ruminations on SXML and XML

Hello Juan,

I'm a bit confused by your post. SXML is just yet another representation
of XML infoset. I think you can't derive new properties of the infoset
by switching from angle brackets to s-expressions.

On Mon, 22 May 2006 06:12:21 -0700 (PDT)
<juanrgonzaleza@canonicalscience.com> wrote:

> Now take the SEXPR (root 5)
>
> Using above mapping, this would be translated to XML

Note that this would not be transated to XML at all. The correct sexp is

(root "5")

> This was the way taken by the w3c in the original HTML math draft.
> However, the current MathML 2.0 specification uses (again ignoring
> tokenization by brevity)

> MathML authors claim several advantages using this last content model.
> Then the (more or less exoteric) question is, would the SXML
>
> (em "important")
>
> be encoded as

> rather than traditional
>
> <em>important</em>?

No. SXML

(em "important")

should be encoded as

<em>important</em>?

As for

it should be encoded in SXML as

(apply (root) "5").

> That is, are there advantages on copying the MathML 2.0 content model
> for example in some future XHTML version?

I'm bad in philosophy, skipping the question.

--
Oleg Parashchenko  olpa@ http://xmlhack.ru/  XML news in Russian
http://uucode.com/blog/  Generative Programming, XML, TeX, Scheme