   RE: [xml-dev] Re: [Schematron-love-in] ISO Schematron Update (RETRY)

Ken,

> >A while back there was some talk of a possible XSLT implementation
> >being available at some point too ?
>
> Works are in progress ... no announcements yet ... sorry for any
> delay ... the development of implementations is independent of the
> standardization process.

I have used the old skeleton1-5.xslt. This is extremely useful, but had a
couple of problems from my point of view. I don't know whether it is useful
for you to know of these if you are doing a new version.

The first is that I found I had to be very careful on the context of the
rules to make sure that the right one was run. For example, I might write a
rule for all elements A, then another for element A when it contained an
element B. I'm sure you can see the problem - the prioritisation of XSLT
templates would stop the first rule running if the A in question contained a
B. The intention was for both to run. The workaround is easy, but it is easy
to miss the problem, especially as I write my rules as a spreadsheet with a
context for each rule (easier to review with business people) then create
the Schematron automatically from that.

The second problem is just the fact that skeleton1-5.xslt produces an HTML
output. Producing an XML output is much more flexible. Not a problem for me
to change, but it would be useful if this were the standard as HTML can
always be produced from this.

Paul Spencer