   RE: [xml-dev] Re: [Schematron-love-in] ISO Schematron Update (RETRY)

At 2006-05-22 14:25 +0100, Paul Spencer wrote:
> > >A while back there was some talk of a possible XSLT implementation
> > >being available at some point too ?
> >
> > Works are in progress ... no announcements yet ... sorry for any
> > delay ... the development of implementations is independent of the
> > standardization process.
>
>I have used the old skeleton1-5.xslt. This is extremely useful, but had a
>couple of problems from my point of view. I don't know whether it is useful
>for you to know of these if you are doing a new version.

I do consider Rick in charge of all this, and I believe he wrote 1.5
but I'm not sure.  I've modified 1.5 myself to handle attributes, and
I have yet another version of 1.5 that does text output, not XML.

>The first is that I found I had to be very careful on the context of the
>rules to make sure that the right one was run. For example, I might write a
>rule for all elements A, then another for element A when it contained an
>element B. I'm sure you can see the problem - the prioritisation of XSLT
>templates would stop the first rule running if the A in question contained a
>B.

Ah, yes, but that is a Schematron issue not an implementation issue
... Schematron states in 6.5 "The only elements for which order is
significant are the rule and let elements." and "A rule element acts
as an if-then-else statement within each pattern" ... so ...

>The intention was for both to run. The workaround is easy, but it is easy
>to miss the problem, especially as I write my rules as a spreadsheet with a
>context for each rule (easier to review with business people) then create
>the Schematron automatically from that.

... if your intention is for both to run you have to change the way
you write your Schematron schema ... it isn't an implementation issue.

>The second problem is just the fact that skeleton1-5.xslt produces an HTML
>output. Producing an XML output is much more flexible. Not a problem for me
>to change, but it would be useful if this were the standard as HTML can
>always be produced from this.

If I get around to writing an implementation of Schematron (I need to
do this for my training) I have ideas for this.  So much to do ... so
little time ... and I find I'm still not running 100% after my surgery.

I cannot speak for Rick but I believe he has some strategies for
getting a new Schematron out for use.

--
Registration open for XSLT/XSL-FO training: Wash.,DC 2006-06-12/16
Also for XSL-FO/XSLT training:    Minneapolis, MN 2006-07-31/08-04