   Re: [xml-dev] SVG interoperability

Hi Eric,

In general I think I have to agree with all of what Robin has said-- the
state of SVG from the outside may look dismal but it is moving along
very well and is in a usable state. Many people make a large deal about
the partialness of implementations but it isn't like the Mozilla folks
went off and built a partial subset of the most useless features-- they
built the most commonly used (and agreed on) subset. And having that is
a great advancement to having what we have now. So granted, there are
limits on Filters and Animation (in FireFox), and there are a couple of
unfortunate bugs-- but once you know them they can be avoided.

Additionally, there are currently projects in affect that do page
rewriting in the absence of SVG support (in IE) to utilize VML to
accomplish a subset. Again, this is sub-optimal but can be used to
accomplish a limited subset.

The fact that several major players are using SVG in their web 2.0 apps
successfully indicates that it is at least the basis for a short term
strategy.

In terms of detection in FireFox, my guess is that you could design your
page to be embedded in HTML (using the description from the SVG Wiki)
and insert a simple detection script. Adobe supports a lot of
non-standard script functions so a detection script in a try catch would
be fairly easy. In the case of a single SVG page-- UA detection is
simple regardless (and is used fairly often when trying to work with
some of the ASV3 bugs).

I wonder if Robin has numbers somewhere that says that there are more
Mobile Phones with SVG support than there are copies of IE in use. It
seems the mobile players always have amazing stats like that at their
fingertips :)

All the best,
Jeff Rafter