   Re: [xml-dev] Help! Any ideas for language for validating links?

Eric van der Vlist said:

> Does such a system exists in the wild? My feeling was that complete
> Xlinks have never been able to get real traction.

Well, I use a complex XLink based system every day: we run our projects on
the PageSeeder collaborating annotation environment which uses them behind
the scenes.

I think there is a maturity aspect as well. After systems are put in, and
implementation technologies mature, gains in productivity come from
improving quality and reducing errors. And as test-driven development gets
more mindshare and becomes management-demanded rather than team-leader
encouraged, the expectation of the existance of tools will increase. (Of
course, I don't expect many organizations will see this as their most
pressing need; or if they do they may go the route of autogenerating links
or using link servers instead.)

>>   * validate Topic Maps
>
> I thought the TM folks were already defining a language to validate
> their stuff...

Good point. I forgot about TMCL.

>> So any use cases, experience, ideas, suggestions welcome. How to the
>> large
>> content management systems declare link checks? Or don't they?
>
> Not in this domain, I have seen cases where people define rather complex
> inclusion/inheritance mechanisms that are very tough to validate with
> current tools.
>
> I am currently working on one of these use cases for a customer.
> Although I can't share the details without their agreement, you can
> think of it as technically relatively similar to XSLT, W3C XML Xchema or
> RELAX NG import, include and redefine mechanism.
>
> To make it still worth, in this specific case the links to the included
> documents are not made through URIs but through logical ids.
>
> Depending on the type of document and component, a component may
> completely or partially override the components with the same name found
> in the included components.
>
> A complete validation involves not only validating the different links
> but also validating that the resulting model is conform to a schema.
>
> Is this type of system in the scope of DSDL part 6?

I don't see why not. Links are important and interesting and difficult and
error-prone; all good reasons at least to look around at industry
experience.

> In that case, use cases could include consolidated validation of W3C XML
> Schema, XSLT and RELAX NG documents. By consolidated I mean validating
> the include/import/redefine chain and its result as opposed as
> validating each document individually.
>
> I could also ask to this customer what they would be willing to share of
> their application.

Yes please.

Rick