   Re: [xml-dev] Restrictions on existence of attributes?

On Jun 29, 2006, at 08:24, Rick Jelliffe wrote:
> I'd put out the opposite challenge: does anyone have *any* examples of
> RELAX NG having interoperability problems?

In the interest of fairness, here is the exhaustive (if memory
serves) list of issues I've encountered while using RelaxNG:

  - One processor accepted <div> everywhere (since the simplification
rules just replace it with its content) while others noted that it
was an error to have it in certain locations. This constitutes the
one and only genuine interoperability issue I remember seeing in
years of usage (since a schema accepted in one case was rejected in
others), and it concerns an element that has no semantics whatsoever
and no impact on validation (it is just used to document and refer to
logical sections of the schema).

  - Jing runs with DTD compatibility on by default whereas others
don't. This isn't an interoperability issue since setting the right
option will turn it off, but it's a PITA because one has to remember
that, and also because DTDs are for weenies (hey, it's Friday :).

  - The error messages are inconsistent between implementations.
Again, this is not an interoperability problem (since you will always
get an error) but it can be a bit painful.

Don't get me started on the problems I've faced with XML Schema
implementations :-)

--
Robin Berjon
    Senior Research Scientist