   RE: [xml-dev] The Best Technologies Don't Win

Le vendredi 07 juillet 2006 à 08:07 -0500, Bullard, Claude L (Len) a
écrit :
>  From: Eric van der Vlist [mailto:vdv@dyomedea.com]

[...]

> >The Web hasn't chosen W3C XML Schema.
>
> Yes it has.  See the W3C specifications.

So what? The Web doesn't belong to the W3C.

[...]

> >If we spoke about the Web, I wouldn't bet on W3C XML Schema! There is a
> tendency in the Web technology stack to reject
> >over complex specs and I am not sure at all that W3C XML Schema will
> ever be widely used on the Web.
>
> There is a tendancy on the web to burgle the work of others and call
> that invention.  RELAX NG is original work.  The web didn't invent it
> and so far hasn't embraced it.   A few intelligent developers have but
> find they can't get it adopted by the web.  Isn't that what these Spy vs
> Spy threads are really about?  You want it.  You can't have it.  A
> minority opinion has been effectively stifled.    What speaks louder,
> the web or powerful monied interests?  See OpenDoc and Microsoft.  Has
> the web caused the the initiation of a plugin project by Microsoft?
> Nope.  Governments have.  Large procurements have.  Deep pockets have.
> Did they listen to the web?  Maybe, but in the end, it comes down to
> directed self-interest, not an abstraction of community.

???

> You want better?  Do what you are doing.  Stand up for it in the town
> square but don't whine that the will of the web is being stifled because
> that spits in the face of the very crowd you say you support.

When have I whined?

> >That being said, I agree that W3C XML Schema is dominant in the crowd
> of "XML enterprise developers" but that's a
> > relatively small community compared to the Web community.
>
> XML Schema dominates the tool stacks and that group of developers is by
> far larger than the users of RELAX.

Sure. My point was that a much more larger group do not use any schema
at all, which also means that the outcome is still open.

Anyway, I am completely lost in this discussion. I fail to see the
relation between 80% of your previous mail and the mail to which it was
supposed to answer and in the remaining 20% I see a majority of rather
arbitrary assertions...

I propose to stop the thread at this point!

Eric
--
GPG-PGP: 2A528005
Le premier annuaire des apiculteurs 100% XML!

Ceci est une partie de message=?ISO-8859-1?Q?num=E9riquement?= =?ISO-8859-1?Q?_sign=E9e?=