   RE: [xml-dev] The Best Technologies Don't Win

 From: Eric van der Vlist [mailto:vdv@dyomedea.com]

>So what? The Web doesn't belong to the W3C.

The decisions about standards for the web do or at least have.  That was
one of the prices for eviscerating ISO early in the web's emergence.  It
may be changing but ever so slowly because other concerns (see DoD) made
the decision to embrace the W3C.  That convinces platform developers,
platform developers make tools for a rather large group, and their
choices are limited by that process.  The web doesn't get a choice
because it can't make one.  Abstractions have only virtual methods.  No
bytes change state.

> >That being said, I agree that W3C XML Schema is dominant in the crowd
> of "XML enterprise developers" but that's a
> > relatively small community compared to the Web community.

But one that buys platform tools.   I suspect that 'enterprisy' meme is
a rather calculated tactic by some developers who resent that they
aren't getting enough attention for their choices.  It is a cry of pain
but from a self-inflicted wound.  In fact, enterprise designs are
thriving.  One wishes they didn't have to use so much bloatware, but
this is phase created by earlier decisions.  Again, swapping energy for
time.

>> XML Schema dominates the tool stacks and that group of developers is
by far larger than the users of RELAX.

>Sure. My point was that a much more larger group do not use any schema
at all, which also means that the outcome is still
>open.

If they don't use schemas, how do they vote?  The decision is closed for
now as much as any decision in a dynamic environment is ever closed.

>Anyway, I am completely lost in this discussion. I fail to see the
relation between 80% of your previous mail and the
> mail to which it was supposed to answer and in the remaining 20% I see
a majority of rather arbitrary assertions...

You don't see it?  Hmm.  Maybe that is the point.  You can't.  You
aren't a schema user.  So why would it matter to you at all?

1)  The choice of schemas is made by users of schemas.
2)  The choice of choices of schemas is made by those who
    a) Create choices by developing and releasing them
    b) Mandate choices by winnowing among the available choices.

Again, there may be a sudden dramatic shift to RELAX, but it will take
time because enough people have to be experienced enough and capable of
making the choice.  Otherwise, they use what is at hand based on the
choices of others.  Small groups can choose smartly.  Very large groups
choose mediocrity.  The Web doesn't choose.  It endures choices.

len