   Re: [xml-dev] [SUMMARY #1] Why is there little usage of XML on the 'visi

> However the usage of XSL-FO for the web is very harmfull (and contrary to
> 'safe' web design guidelines)
> [http://people.opera.com/howcome/1999/foch.html]

Despite not liking XSL-FO I feel compelled to pull out that this is a
well-known anti XSL-FO troll.
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/1999/06/xsl_edit.html

> When i said XSL-FO vs. PDF and people blamed me by this stupid comparison,
> i was refering to the hypotetical usage of XSL-FO in browsers (or another
> window GUI rendering) versus opening and seeing the same document in PDF
> format online.
So you were comparing an existing usage with a hypothetical usage that
as far as I know is not worked on by anyone outside of some proof of
concept type applications?

> "Data Conversion Laboratory, in its Website glossary, writes: 'XSL… is a
> stylesheet language that gives us the ability to specify how data coded
> with XML will format on screen (emphasis added). This language was
> developed based on the ISO companion standard for SGML known as DSSSL…'

This is of course the problem with argument by linkage. Why should I,
or anyone, care what Data Conversion Laboratory says in its website
glossary. What if I found a website glossary that said something else,
I guess this would strengthen your point that nobody knows what it is
because two people say different things. If so I am saddened to report
that nobody knows anything in all the world.

> Therein lays another example of this schizophrenia involving all things
> XML.
Your argument that some people say different things about an XML based
standard that you describe as a non-succesful unpopular XML based
standard proves that there is a schizophrenia involving all things
XML?

Cheers,
Bryan Rasmussen