   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Identifying the Top 10 xml Issues.. something with leg

On 7/24/06, David Lyon <david.lyon@preisshare.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-07-24 at 21:15 +1000, Rick Jelliffe wrote:
> > There is nothing stopping you doing this in real XML,  just moving the
> > type tag inside the attribute value. For example (off the top of my
> > head, details may be wrong):
> >
> >     <Item Information PLU="A256" Name="Kitchen Veneer" Rate="$420"/>
> >
> > Then you can validate with Schematron, for example
> >   <sch:pattern name="typedAttribute"  abstract="true">
> >     <sch:rule context="starts-with($node, '$')">
> >        <sch:assert test="number(string-after($node, $))"
> >              >A currency attribute should have a number</sch:assert>
> >     </sch:rule>
> >    </sch:pattern>
> >
> >    <sch:pattern is-a="typedAttribute">
> >       <sch:param name="node" value="Item/@*"/>
> >    <sch:pattern>
> >
> > Cheers
> > Rick Jelliffe
>
> Ok, say I did that.. what do I now get?

Among other things:

1) the ability to use standardized parsers without having to write and
maintain your own;

2) the ability to use an ISO standard for data validation without
having to write and maintain your own;

3) compatibility with external systems with no extra transformation
requirements (reduced processing overhead).

--
Peter Hunsberger