Re: [xml-dev] Generic XML Tag Closer </> (GXTC)

from a brief survey of your blog on this matter i can only say that like
so many other "critics" of xml your comments are really only meaningful
if you ignore a significant part of the problem space xml is solving.

having said that - a few more comments:

it probably would have been better for css to be an xml vocabulary from
the start - but it prohibits nested "tags" so i guess it was deemed
unnecessary - and that's true for some other syntaxes.

</> terminators (or "full stop syntax" as i like to think of it) are
more readable in simple examples, but i can assure that in large machine
generated documents such as some of the edi stuff we do it would be
incredibly unreadable. my own syntax for unibase (which does use a full
stop syntax) can get very unreadable and difficult to debug on large
programs. it's a shame html and/or xml weren't known at the time i
designed the syntax.

all of this would be a lot easier if every document was checked against
a dtd or xsd - essential for our work and a whole other topic.

rick