Re: [xml-dev] Xlink Isn't Dead

At 07:34 AM 9/22/2006, Alexander Johannesen wrote:
>I think it was an attempt at trying to sway good honest XML folks into
>the dark alleys of semantic data modelling, because if it's an W3C XML
>standard, everyone will use it, right? *whistle*

         As one of the people who was working on XLink at the W3C for
some time, I can definitively say that wasn't the case. Let's
remember, here: this work started around the same time that XML
started. A lot of the mindset was influenced by the SGML world, and a
lot of the work was influenced by the priorities at the W3C, which
were to get things out as quickly as possible, to cement XML's legitimacy.

         In an ideal world, a lot of XLink would've gone into the
styling languages. But we weren't in an ideal world. That doesn't
render the work invalid; the ideas behind XLink are sound, they're
just in the wrong place, i.e. the document.

--->Ben