Re: [xml-dev] Announcing a Preview of XString, an XML technology - XML as a String

At 03:54 AM 2006-10-07 -0500, William Gilreath wrote:
>The five major points about XString:
>
>XString is XML just encoded differently.

Thank you for another attempt at refining XML.  I'm always curious to
see how others find another aspect to refine XML in different aspects.
I don't know if I may be "picking bones" from the words, but I'm not
sure this particular line (above) could be said without qualification.

It would read like XML is an abstract definition, with the actual rendition
and encoding being arbitrarily decided by possibly one or more other
specifications, so that XString could be "XML just encoded differently".

Well, that's not really it since we can't run away from all the uses of
"<", ">" and the many reserved tokens and combinations;  the XML
spec requires these to be used in order to call a data instance XML.

Second, it would also be, I believe, a necessary condition that XString
is either a one-to-one mapping of all XML aspects, or at least a superset,
before "XString is XML" could be said.

In your example (below), had the parsing of the XML original be within
a mixed element and text environment, then the newlines that were lost
in translation to XString would make the XString rendition incompatible
with the original XML instance.

Any thoughts?

cheers.