Re: [xml-dev] XML tools

There are lots of XML tools and it really depends on your requirements.

If you are looking at products in the XML Spy space, one of my favorites
Oxygen.  It goes places where other tools are afraid to tread - RelaxNG
and Schematron.

I think XML Spy has the best visualization of schema's.  The one thing
I find annoying about it is that it deletes white space and formats
the ASCII view.  This is configurable the problem comes when you have
multiple developers looking at schemas and after you spend the time
getting them readable other people can look at the schema and
inadvertantly delete all your white space.

You should also look at Stylus Studio.  These tools are
definately for developers.  I even know a few people who swear by
XML Cooktop, it is a conglomeration of Open Source XML tool in one
environment.  Personally I didn't care for the environment.

Of course my favorite XSLT environment is an ASCII editor (EditPlus)
but that is just me and probably not for everyone |-)!

If you are looking for a tool that you want to give to authors (not
developers) I would look at Syntext (I like the interface), XMetaL
(now a Justsystems product), Arbortext Epic or Framemaker + XML. All are
very good and really depends on the circumstances.  All of the
editors require a developer to create an authoring environment.

Good luck in your search!

Betty