Re: [xml-dev] GPL and XML and Schemas

Michael Kay wrote:
>> For a schema?
>> Any suggestions?
>>

> You haven't actually said what you trying to achieve.
>
> I can guarantee you that whatever license you choose (or write), there will
> be messages from lawyers telling you that they cannot accept your free gift
> because the license conditions are unacceptable. Are you happy to respond
> "that's your loss"?
>
> If what you're shipping is any good, there will also be hundreds of people
> who use it without reading the license conditions or making any effort to
> adhere to them. Do you actually care?
>
> I sometimes think the best license would be one that reads: Whatever
> happens, I agree not to sue you and you agree not to sue me.

Pragmatist :-)

What I'm trying to achieve. Enlightenment I guess.
I've written code and documentation, I'm happy to license it using GPL
and FDL.

I'm doing some work with www.daisy.org who want to have their code
usable by commercial organisations.

For code they're using LGPL.

They also have a couple of schema in there.

I'm looking for an appropriate licence to suggest they attach to the Schema.

As has been pointed out, neither GPL nor FDL seem appropriate.
Rich has just suggested

I'd use BSD or MIT/X (functionally equivalent).

I'm off to do some more reading, but my legal brain is distinctly
neanderthal!

regards

--
Dave Pawson