Fwd: [xml-dev] 2007 Predictions

I had meant for this to go to the whole list.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Megginson <david.megginson@gmail.com>
Date: 11-Jan-2007 07:12
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] 2007 Predictions
To: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>

On 10/01/07, Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu> wrote:

> What do people think is going to happen in 2007 in XML? What are we
> going to talk about for the next 12 months? Which new technologies are
> going to birth industries? Which ones are going to flop? What are your
> predictions?

In terms of things that matter to the outside world, I wouldn't expect
much new.  XML is getting to be a mature technology, and while we'll
see many new XML-based applications in 2007, I don't think that
they'll be stunningly different from current ones.

I expect to see Atom and XQuery make some more progress, both in tools
and deployment, while enthusiasm continues to decline for any new WS-*
specs.  REST will keep growing in popularity (with or without the
"REST" name), but people will become annoyed with the increasingly
shrill complaints from RESTafarians that they're using POST where they
should use PUT and DELETE.  We might continue to see incremental
improvements in the ability to use MS Office applications with ODF,
hopefully through official MS tools rather than third-party plugins.

All the best,

David