RE: [xml-dev] 2007 Predictions

As Brian Jones notes
http://blogs.msdn.com/brian_jones/archive/2007/01/08/open-xml-support-in-old
er-versions-of-office.aspx it is a misconception that OOXML requires a
purchase of Office 2007.
There's a free upgrade for older MS Offices that enables OOXML support
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=941b3470-3ae9-4aee-
8f43-c6bb74cd1466&displaylang=en
There will be Mac support real soon now, not sure what has been promised,
when. Novell,Corel, etc. have also indicated that they would support OOXML
From a quick search, it looks like the popular ODF plugins for Word only
support Office 2007, but I can't imagine why there wouldn't be versions that
work with older versions of MS Office if actual demand emerges. So, while
obviously it will cost time and support money to take advantage of the free
software / plugins , I wouldn't think budgets would be a major factor
blocking a move to one of the XML-based office formats.