Re: [xml-dev] More predictions to mull over

On Feb 14, 2007, at 2:52 PM, Elliotte Harold wrote:

> Len Bullard wrote:
>> We’ve had the same ‘… is dead’ predictions for lots of languages
>> and technologies.   We’ve been having the same debates on the VRML/
>> X3D lists since those statements from the gamers that ‘no one
>> serious does anything with….” some months ago.  Fortran is still
>> out there, Cobol is still out there and any time someone says
>> ‘yes, but who cares’, check out which language is running a lot of
>> missile control systems and which one is still running a lot of
>> banks.  Densities change but not the fact of for a sizable x there
>> is some evidence of n.
>
> Dead or dying. CORBA is dead. [...] On the other hand tech like
> CORBA and OSI that never achieved orbit or even left the launch pad
> in the first place are thoroughly dead. They don't even have much
> of a legacy to support.

I'll be the first to agree that CORBA is dying, and deserves it. But
to say it never took off is just not true: I know from first-hand
experience that there are lots and lots of big mission-critical apps,
e.g. in the telecommunications and banking industries, that were
built on CORBA.

Stefan
--
Stefan Tilkov, http://www.innoq.com/blog/st/