RE: [xml-dev] More predictions to mull over

So as I am reminded here and remonstrated elsewhere, even COBOL is still
evolving.  Sorry Jack, Grace was a fabulous officer and a lady, but that is
still my nightmare programming class possibly because we used coding sheets
in those days and antiquated keypunch systems.  Gack!

As I said, as long as there are tools and users and it's still convenient, a
language has a niche.  One of the fascinating things about the web is how
much deadware is still being used after the companies that wrote it went out
of business because the language didn't take off fast enough and they heaved
the executables out onto servers that lasted for their customers who lasted
as well.  I still use Numedia Avatar Studio gladly.  It was the killer app
of simple good looking avatar modelers and spit out conforming VRML.  We
open up the saved file and modify the models to do things never intended and
possibly not even legal in some communities.  One guy has made hundreds of
avatars for sale because he also cracked the layers of the composite jpg
images used to skin them. The avs are single mesh and non-H-anim but cheaper
than Poser.  As a result, several new products have to be equipped with
import filters for these puppies some of which produce incredibly ugly
avatars that Picasso could have painted, but they load.

As to code outliving you, isn't that what all programmers dream about?  Be
careful what you leave in those comments.  You may come back to haunt
yourself in your next life.

len

From: Lindsey, Jack [mailto:Jack.Lindsey@cra-arc.gc.ca]

And remember COBOL has grown new legs.  There's OO COBOL for blending
with Java and COBOL XML for generating XML with the language given to us
by amazing Grace.

www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27001516&aid=1

Better stick that retiring COBOL programmer in cryogenic suspension
ready for Y3K.

Cheers

	Jack Lindsey

Like a bit on the wire