Re: [xml-dev] xml with no -->"<?xml version?>"

Original Message From: "Sudheshna Iyer" <sudheshnaiyer@hotmail.com>

> Then what is the use of having the first line --><?xml version="1.0"
> encoding="UTF-8"?>"
>
> Thank you.
>
> Sudheshna

It becomes useful if the character encoding is neither of UTF-8 or one of
the UTF-16s.  It's also mandatory for XML 1.1, but I don't think there is a
lot if that about!

But, you're right, for UTF-8 encoded characters, having the line as <?xml
version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> doesn't serve that much purpose!

HTH,

Pete.
Pete Cordell
Tech-Know-Ware Ltd