Re: [xml-dev] a namespace definitions related question(s)

On 2/20/07, Shlomo Yona <S.Yona@f5.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm not sure that I understand your comment.
>
> In the XML instance that I posted:
> * is the document well formed?

no. it is not well formed. you had a node that started and never stopped -

 <a:foo xmlns:a="foobar">
>             <a:bar xmlns:b="foobar">
> </b:bar>
> </a:foo>

> Should XML processors be XML-Namespace aware?

yes. but the above instance does not follow namespace rules.

> Say I have a schema, is the well-formedness dependent upon the schema??

no. the validity is dependent on the schema (or whatever method you
use to validate with)
> What I'm asking is whether or not an XML parser should be namespace aware, and whether or not its capabilities should depend (and how) on a schema.

yes it should be namespace aware, and no its capabilities should not
depend on a schema (unless someone comes up with a really clever way
to make it depend on a schema in which case it should)
> In the example I gave, the namespace information is available in the XML >instance.
sure, but the instance is not well formed so I guess in a way that
namespace information will be unavailable to pretty much every xml
parser out there.

Cheers,
Bryan Rasmussen