Re: [xml-dev] a namespace definitions related question(s)

Original Message From: "Shlomo Yona" <S.Yona@F5.com>

> In the XML instance that I posted:
> * is the document well formed?

No - because in your example the end tag name does not match the start tag
name.  I think in one of the earlier XML versions it says that the end tag
name must 'echo' the start tag name which I think is clearer in what the
intent it.

> Should XML processors be XML-Namespace aware?

They needn't be, but it's good if they are.

> Say I have a schema, is the well-formedness dependent upon the schema??

No - well formedness is purley an XML issue about whether start tags are
matched by end tags, attributes have the right quotation marks and so on.

A schema will help determine whether a particular (well-formed) XML instance
is 'valid' against that schema.

> What I'm asking is whether or not an XML parser should be namespace
> aware, and whether or not its capabilities should depend (and how) on a
> schema.

It is possible to define XML schemas that specify XML documents that don't
use namespaces.  In that case the XML processor needn't be namespace aware.
Although it's unlikely that you'll find a schema aware validating XML
processor that is not namespace aware.

HTH,

Pete.
Pete Cordell