Re: [xml-dev] XML based wiazrd

On 5/17/07, Sam Carleton <scarleton@miltonstreet.com> wrote:
> I need to develop a Wizard.  It will be some what complex with many
> final destinations, based on how the user answers questions.  My
> thought was that I could map this out the whole thing in XML, having
> one question with the possible answers, and then in each answer have
> the next question and so on.
>
> I asked on another forum and someone recommended IETM (Interactive
> Electronic Technical Manual).  From what I have been able to tell it
> is a SGML format used by the military for trouble shooting manuals.
> It seems to be VERY involved (especially being SGML, which I don't
> know yet) and I am not finding any frameworks out there to quickly and
> easily display the information.

An IETM (or IETP) is an electronic version of the older paper based
manuals.  The content was originally stored in SGML (eg AvP70 used by
British Tornados and Harriers) but nowadays its XML (eg AECMA's
s1000d, used by Eurofighter and a variation for JSF I think).

In s1000d there is markup for an if/then/else in the Aircrew DTD, and
the implementation of it that I dealt with was very complicated and I
would suggest using something else.

http://www.s1000d.org/content/s1000d/change9/doc/csdb/aircrew/drill.html