Re: Abuse of this list

This is something I couldn't have weighed in on publicly while I worked
at DataDirect.

The search engines love sites that have a lot of phrases related to
specific topics, distributed among many different files. From my gmail
account, I infer that Google also knows about the names of people
associated with specific topics, so messages from people like us add to
the credibility of an XML site.

Stylus Studio and DataDirect XQuery have managed to get very good search
engine ratings - if you search for acronyms or phrases we use in XML,
you'll see what I mean. But like you, I find it objectionable when an
email I send gets changed into a source of links into the Stylus Studio
site to improve their search engine ranking. It makes it look as though
I were referring to their software at times that I am not.

You'll notice that the Stylus site also includes many of the W3C specs,
other mailing lists, and anything that might tell the search engines
that it contains a large body of credible data related to the things
that they sell. I don't like this strategy. It does seem to be an
effective way of increasing page rank with the current Google
algorithms. I wouldn't do it. I especially would not modify people's
messages or existing documents to refer to products I'm trying to sell.
I think Stylus and DataDirect are great products, but this strategy
always bugged me.

One thing has gotten better: at one point, Google would sometimes prefer
the Stylus copies of information to the original; for instance, if you
Googled on "xml-dev", it would take you to their copy of the archives,
or often to their copy of a document. Now that does not usually happen.

Jonathan