RE: [xml-dev] Re: Abuse of this list

> How would you like it if everytime you posted an annoucement of a new
> release of saxon on xml-dev, the post was modified with every
> occurance of "saxon" linked to a Stylus Studio page

Well, if you Google for Saxon you will find my pages listed alongside
advertisements linking to my competitors. In fact, even SourceForge do that,
as do my publishers, Wiley. I don't like it much, but I can live with it.
I'm not saying it's good, I'm just saying it's a game that everyone plays. I
agree that adding links to the text feels worse than putting ads in the
margin, but it's just a matter of degree. Everyone is shouting ever louder
to be heard above the noise. And you never know, the seller in the fruit
market who shouts his wares the loudest might actually have some good
tomatoes on offer.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/