Re: [xml-dev] A single, all-encompassing data validation language - good or bad for the marketplace?

On 8/2/07, Costello, Roger L. <costello@mitre.org> wrote:
> 4. Is it in the best interest of the marketplace to have a single,
> all-encompassing data validation language, or is it better to have
> multiple data validation languages that work together?

Do you have any information on the current state of the marketplace?

Are you sure that XML Schema isn't already lined up as the single, all
encompassing validation language once people move on from DTD?  (as
in, the only market share it will be gaining is from DTD, as the rest
is negligible)

I've asked this before (so I'll ask it again at the likelihood of
being flamed) - where are the Schematron implemenations?  As far as I
can see, it's a specification and a couple of stylesheets...  A while
back I really wanted to augment my XSD with XPath and looked at
Schematron, but there was nothing there - just a new language to learn
and stylesheet to ultimately turn that language into another
stylesheet - not exactly enough to warrant the time investment to
learn the language when most people know XPath already (and writing
the XPath directly you're not constrained by limitations of the
"Skeleton" transform).

To be honest I was underwhelmed and annoyed that there was so much
apparent positivity for something that didn't have any substance.  I
don't know what its like now, hence my question - does Schematron have
any market share for XML Schema to take when 1.1 is released?

--
http://andrewjwelch.com