RE: [xml-dev] OOXML: So what *should* happen now?

Or perhaps most people were somewhat intimidated by the prospect of
(thoroughly) reviewing a 6,000 page document.  To put this in
perspective for those who know SQL's size and complexity, the sum of
all nine parts of SQL is about 3950 pages.  A ballot on SQL
frequently receives several thousand comments, and we've been
balloting versions of SQL for 20 years!

In fact, virtually every large spec I've ever had the "pleasure" to
review leads to "thread-pulling", in which every page yields at least
"one more" bug, and following up on that one leads to more, and
following up on those leads to still more, etc.  I would personally
be stunned if 30 dedicated, knowledgeable reviewers of a 6,000 page
spec on its first public review were unable to find at least 3,000
unique significant problems and at least 40,000 minor and editorial
problems.  But that's just me...

Just one more perspective,
    Jim

At 9/6/2007 04:33 PM, Michael Kay wrote:
> > The task of addressing all ten thousand or so ISO-member
> > comments, even after removing dupes, and dealing with the
> > callouts to unspecified product behavior, and so on, with no
> > assurance that doing so would result in ISO blessing, seems
> > just insanely expensive and difficult to me.
>
>Actually, 10,000 comments on a 6,000 page spec doesn't sound like a large
>number to me. If I had less than two comments per page on a book or spec I
>had submitted for technical review, I would be concerned that the review
>wasn't thorough enough. Perhaps people were holding back because they don't
>want to provide MS with a free QA service.
>
>Michael Kay
>http://www.saxonica.com/

Jim Melton --- Editor of ISO/IEC 9075-* (SQL)     Phone: +1.801.942.0144
   Co-Chair, W3C XML Query WG; F&O (etc.) editor    Fax : +1.801.942.3345
Oracle Corporation        Oracle Email: jim dot melton at oracle dot com
1930 Viscounti Drive      Standards email: jim dot melton at acm dot org
Sandy, UT 84093-1063 USA          Personal email: jim at melton dot name
=  Facts are facts.   But any opinions expressed are the opinions      =
=  only of myself and may or may not reflect the opinions of anybody   =
=  else with whom I may or may not have discussed the issues at hand.  =