RE: [xml-dev] increment pattern for an attribute..

> Looking through the SAXON 9 capabilities, I see you have a
> markup language SCM for serializing the XSD Schema Component
> Model. ...
>
> I wonder if there is some scope for coalescing these,
> obviously not to surplant XSD syntax etc but to get a more
> XSL-friendly syntax to help developers?
>
> Does SCM have a solidified schema yet?

I would be very happy to work with anyone who wants to try and define such a
specification. I actually implemented this initially as a private
serialization format to allow quick reloading of precompiled schemas, and
then realized afterwards that it could be very useful as a format for
applications to access. Clearly the absence of a formal definition of the
format is a big gap that needs to be filled!

One problem is that the component model as described in the schema specs is
very denormalized (for example, all facets are explicitly present in a type
derived by restriction). That may be useful for applications accessing the
model but it's not such a good idea in a format designed for quick loading.
So there are design trade-offs.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/