RE: [xml-dev] increment pattern for an attribute..

On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 09:05 +0000, Michael Kay wrote:
> > Looking through the SAXON 9 capabilities, I see you have a
> > markup language SCM for serializing the XSD Schema Component
> > Model. ...
> >
> > I wonder if there is some scope for coalescing these,
> > obviously not to surplant XSD syntax etc but to get a more
> > XSL-friendly syntax to help developers?
> >
> > Does SCM have a solidified schema yet?
>
> I would be very happy to work with anyone who wants to try and define such a
> specification. I actually implemented this initially as a private
> serialization format to allow quick reloading of precompiled schemas, and
> then realized afterwards that it could be very useful as a format for
> applications to access. Clearly the absence of a formal definition of the
> format is a big gap that needs to be filled!

I'd like to follow up on this.  I'll take a look at SCM and see which
ballpark it is in.

> One problem is that the component model as described in the schema specs is
> very denormalized (for example, all facets are explicitly present in a type
> derived by restriction). That may be useful for applications accessing the
> model but it's not such a good idea in a format designed for quick loading.
> So there are design trade-offs.

I suggest a good goal might be that it is aimed at simplicity of use by
and with XSLT2 systems. This means in particular that chains of
references should be overcome.

Cheers
Rick