Re: [xml-dev] Data versioning strategy: address semantic, relationship, and syntactic changes?

Tommie,

thanks for the pointer to this pre-conference symposium. Like many others on this list I recognise the issues raised initally by Roger and have direct experience of pretty much everything Greg is talking about. Integration in my organisation is moving into the crucial 2nd and 3rd iterations of business services and this of course is where it is discovered whether you have a sound change management/versioning strategy in place or not ( i.e.you find that those delivery pressures for getting verion 1.0 over the line have left this problem in the ' ... yeah we'll fix that later ..' pile).

This has been a subject that I have periodically brought up in this list and others and it is fair to say that there are a wide variety of views that range from 'strict contractual compiance' to 'completely open and self describing' vocabularies. More often than not (at least in my world) these have to some extent been about moving the problem around rather than necessarily dealing with it.

Anyway, I was wondering whether any papers or other materials from the conference and particularly the pre-conference symposium you mentioned will be made available to those of us who will not be able to make the trip ?? and whether those of us who would love to come to Canada at this time of the year, can nonetheless particpate in any on-line blog-fests or other ways of communicating and contributing to the debate ?

Thanks

Fraser.