Re: [xml-dev] Schema compile/validate problems in .NET 2.0 [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Hi Steve,

Are the 19139 schemas sourced from http://eden.ign.fr/xsd/isotc211 or the
ISO release?

oXygen, by default, uses Xerces and, depending on what you have set in your
preferences for:
http://apache.org/xml/features/validation/schema-full-checking
and
http://apache.org/xml/features/honour-all-schemaLocations

you will get a very different result with those (or infact any ISO19xxx)
schemas.

I would be wary of using xs:redefine with those schemas but I can see
conceptually why you might want to do that.

As for finding a way through it...as you know the complexity of those
schemas is nasty. It really does prevent a single approach to schema
validation (by that I mean each Schema processor seems to have to be
wrestled to the ground to find a way to validate against them. There are
many people out there that have hacked local versions of those schemas to
achieve workability with a given tool.

cheers,

Nick Ardlie

             "Marshall, Steven
             (SKM)"
             <SMarshall@skm.co                                          To
             m.au>                          <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
                                                                        cc
             05/02/2008 03:39
             PM                                                    Subject
                                            [xml-dev] Schema
                                            compile/validate problems in
                                            .NET 2.0
                                                           Protective Mark

Hello,

We are developing an application which is based on a complex set of XML
schemas (several dozen schemas in all).  The schemas themselves are based
on the ISO19139 standard, with a few extensions and changes for our
purposes.  Some of the changes are done using xs:redefine.  The set of
schemas validates perfectly using oXygen version 8 and the Xerces engine.
The application is developed using Visual Studio on the .NET 2.0 platform.
The problem is, when I try to load the root schema into a .NET XMLSchemaSet
object and call the Compile method, it throws about 16 validation
exceptions.  Some describe duplicate definitions of elements or types, some
complain about invalid xs:redefine usage.  It has thrown us a bit that
oXygen does not report anything, but .NET will not accept these schemas.
Even if I try to load the unmodified ISO19139 schema set, .NET reports 3
errors which again, oXygen does not.

Anybody know what is going on here?  Is .NET more stringent in its
validation than oXygen?  Even if we ask oXygen to use the MSXML.NET engine
to validate them, we get different results.  It's difficult to post any of
the schema info, because there is a total of well over a megabyte of it.
Initially we'd just like to know if anyone has come up against this sort of
problem, and more important, has found a way through it.

Thanks and regards
Steve Marshall

SKM is committed to working with its clients to deliver a sustainable
future for all. Please consider the environment before printing this
e-mail.
Notice - This message contains confidential information intended only for
the exclusive use of the addressee named above. No confidentiality is
waived or lost by any mistaken transmission to you. If you have received
this message in error please delete the document and notify us immediately.

Any opinion, text, documentation or attachment received is valid as at the
date of issue only. The recipient is responsible for reviewing the status
of the transferred information and should advise us immediately upon
receipt of any discrepancy.
All email sent to SKM will be intercepted, screened and filtered by SKM or
its approved Service Providers.

including attachments, may contain confidential, sensitive, legally
privileged and/or copyright information.  Any review, retransmission,
dissemination or other use of this information by persons or entities other
than the intended recipient is prohibited. DIAC respects your privacy and
has obligations under the Privacy Act 1988. The official departmental
privacy policy can be viewed on the department's website at www.immi.gov.au
See: http://www.immi.gov.au/functional/privacy.htm