From: Marshall, Steven (SKM) [mailto:SMarshall@skm.com.au]
Sent: 05 February 2008 04:39
To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: [xml-dev] Schema compile/validate problems in .NET 2.0

Hello,

We are developing an application which is based on a complex set of XML schemas (several dozen schemas in all).  The schemas themselves are based on the ISO19139 standard, with a few extensions and changes for our purposes.  Some of the changes are done using xs:redefine.  The set of schemas validates perfectly using oXygen version 8 and the Xerces engine.  The application is developed using Visual Studio on the .NET 2.0 platform.  The problem is, when I try to load the root schema into a .NET XMLSchemaSet object and call the Compile method, it throws about 16 validation exceptions.  Some describe duplicate definitions of elements or types, some complain about invalid xs:redefine usage.  It has thrown us a bit that oXygen does not report anything, but .NET will not accept these schemas.  Even if I try to load the unmodified ISO19139 schema set, .NET reports 3 errors which again, oXygen does not.

Anybody know what is going on here?  Is .NET more stringent in its validation than oXygen?  Even if we ask oXygen to use the MSXML.NET engine to validate them, we get different results.  It's difficult to post any of the schema info, because there is a total of well over a megabyte of it.  Initially we'd just like to know if anyone has come up against this sort of problem, and more important, has found a way through it.

Thanks and regards
Steve Marshall

SKM is committed to working with its clients to deliver a sustainable future for all. Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.
Notice - This message contains confidential information intended only for the exclusive use of the addressee named above. No confidentiality is waived or lost by any mistaken transmission to you. If you have received this message in error please delete the document and notify us immediately.
Any opinion, text, documentation or attachment received is valid as at the date of issue only. The recipient is responsible for reviewing the status of the transferred information and should advise us immediately upon receipt of any discrepancy.
All email sent to SKM will be intercepted, screened and filtered by SKM or its approved Service Providers.