Re: [xml-dev] Re: [offtopic] Re: SQL instead of XQuery

Andrzej Jan Taramina wrote:
> Dimitry:
>
>> Speach goes about query language on slides,
>> instead of algorithms of engine.
>>

> I disagree.  SQL works against relational databases.  XQuery goes against XML
> and XML databases, so the comparison of SQL vs XQuery drags in the topic of
> what storage mechanism to use as well.

The people who define SQL, H2, decided to support XQuery for querying
XML. They started by trying to extend SQL, there have been many
proposals to do that, but they concluded that supporting XQuery from
within SQL was important.

Dimitry's SQL5 is not a language that H2 would recognize as SQL.

I think the industry has been adopting SQL for querying relational data
and XQuery for querying XML. These languages have been widely perceived
as good languages for the tasks they were designed for. Since these are
the standards, and they do the job well, they are likely to remain in
place.

Who is actually using SQL5? Is anyone besides Dimitry pushing it?

Jonathan