Re: [xml-dev] The limitations of XPath and navigation- A XPath/XQuery Challenge

Hi Mike,

Yes the SQL WHERE clause should have read: WHERE InvID=?Inv02?

With SQL-92, The Outer join?s ON clause, performs the joins. It is performed at each join point and only has affect over its join point- only downward, not upward. The WHERE clause is applied (logically) after all joins are performed similar to XQuery?s WHERE operation. This will change your XQuery example. It may increase LCA logic problems across documents. Is there any documentation which addresses processing across hierarchical paths?

Yes I did leave out the empCustId attribute, and your use is correct.

The SQL used in my SQL example is ANSI standard.

The SQL hierarchical prototype automatically determines the full hierarchical structure being processed and from that the default output XML structure produced from the processed result.

The default order of sibling nodes is automatically taken from the stored views and order of joins performed. The order of attributes in a node is determined by the order they were specified on the SL SELECT list. That was used because that?s how SQL generally operates and is very useful by default. This could be controlled easily by another FOR XML switch for retaining attribute order in a node.

As primarily an SQL product which is naturally navigationless, the default XML output structure should be automatically taken from the hierarchically processed relational rowset. This seems perfectly natural to me. If the user whishes to add their own format or transform they can do it directly in SQL, either by dynamically controlling what data is desired modifying the SELECT list or transforming the structure using SQL. So why preclude the automatic default feature.

On the debate of Implicit and Explicit Navigation: My original premise was that database data and markup need to be processed differently. With database data, the hierarchical structure and its processing needs to be more fixed and restricted in order to get the correct results. This allows database data to be performed navigationlessly and if this is possible, that should be the first choice. This also opens up XML access to the non technical user. It also has many advantages such as accuracy and not being affected by internal complexity, and all the other capabilities mentioned in my article.

       /Mike